Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Pins and Needles...

I've been waiting anxiously for rumored news from UNH that could lessen my financial worries considerably should it actually come to fruition. I'm still trying not to get my hopes up, but it's difficult not to feel jolts of excitement that something I was guaranteed not to have, might actually happen.

In other news... still hunting for jobs in New Hammie. I just received an email for a technical writer position in Manchester--seven month contract work. I can't handle the uncertainty of what happens during month eight. Besides, once I move up there I'm not going to city/town hop one job after another. I hate moving as it is, no way in hell am I going to leap around with my gato, boxes of books, and my bed (if I'm lucky enough to move it up there). I would like to find a place to live and root myself for the next three--or more--years.

I'm still "in progress" for two of the three jobs that I applied for at the university. I'm "no longer under consideration" for the third, which was a job similar to what I do now. I consider this a blessing. I'm not thrilled about my current work. (I'm undecided if my lack of enthusiasm is due to not having leadership or lack of challenge and mentorship.) I'm still trolling the job sites and I still have about 2.5 months left to find employment. Scary! I need a steady job that brings in enough money to be able to pay my bills. It'll happen.

Remaining obnoxiously optimistic.

So... I'm sitting on uncomfortable pins and needles, nervously watching the days tick by before I flee my hot little hell to a welcoming cold and colorful icebox of possibilities.

Update: So, finally heard about that rumored news, but not through any official channels--saw it on my financial aid status. I'm happy to report that I have received a small scholarship! Yay me. It helps a little--just a little. But that's a little less loans I'll have to take out this year. For that alone, I am grateful.

Update 2: It's amazing how someone's disappointed "oh" after good news can make the good news (although it's a small victory) seem minuscule. I know that the scholarship was small, but geez, some excitement would be nice! New worries are afresh in me. :( blahh to all Debbie Downers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget Debbie Downers. Hope I wasn't one in any way!

Here's a blogger you should check out. He works in publishing.

http://ivebeenreadinglately.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yea! Scholarship!

Boo! Pessimistic people!

Free money is hot no matter what the amount is! And life is far too short to let good things dissapoint you.

Besides, you get to do an MFA program and you're excited about moving to NH ... free money is icing at this point :)

Hope the job comes through soon!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin