Saturday, July 18, 2009

Realizations and Tid Bits

I'm starting to wonder if my constant doubts about this program are an intuitive sign that my heart has yet to get on board with. I should make a pros and cons list.

Updates on all that is me:
  • Saw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. It was a good movie (long overdue) and there were a lot of things that I absolutely loved about the whole thing and a few things that I disliked (perhaps I'm too much of a purist). I will likely see the movie again (and will totally buy it--extended version and all--when it comes out in about six months. I predict a X-mas release), and maybe I'll like it more the second time around. So... I give it an A. Because, come on... it's Harry POTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTER! Hell ya.
  • I will be making .25 cents more an hour. Minimum wage went up. Commence sobbing.
  • I'm almost done teaching my summer class. This is the final week. It's been going well and I'll be happy to have it over with.
  • I'm currently reading The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (not affiliated with Dunder Mifflin, sadly). It's a bit slow moving at the moment. I only have two more weeks of July to read as much fluff as possible, so perhaps I'll move on to the next great thing. What that is, I don't know.
  • I'm writing off and on--what most in this program would call fluff. Been toying around with some monkey- and carnival-themed (separate ideas) stories for workshop this fall (pending my ultimate decision). They're pretty "out there"--we'll see. People might think me crazy, but it's coo'.
  • It's either the sun, the humidity, or the general mundaneness of my life, but I am a tad depressed. I feel like floating on a river of melted vanilla ice cream, face down, mouth wide open. Whhooooa is me.
  • Is it bad that while at work today I seriously considered the following experiment: Starve yourself for one week, just to see what it feels like. I then proceeded to have a cinnamon scone with my lunch, so the seriousness of this consideration is now a moot point.
  • I have big dreams but lack the motivation to make them realities. What are possible solutions to such a conundrum? Xanax?
Crap... enough with the Debbie Downer mood, right? Let's see if I can't cheer us all up a bit. How about a quote from my Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams book (he did the illustrations, Jim Lewis wrote the text. [I'm pretty sure that the picture to the right is the statue at the University of Maryland where Henson went to school. I've been meaning to get a picture here. Next time I'm in D.C.]

After a random page opening, here is the quote of the day (pretty fitting):

"You are where you are because that's where you need to be. And if you need to move on, you'll move on."

oooh, this is a good one too:

"When you take changes, you're going to fail. That's inevitable. You can either let failure turn you away from your dream or inspire you to dream bigger."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Is it bad that while at work today I seriously considered the following experiment: Starve yourself for one week, just to see what it feels like. I then proceeded to have a cinnamon scone with my lunch, so the seriousness of this consideration is now a moot point"
HAHA! That sounds like something I would do.

I LOVE the quotes you posted. What I needed to read, as well. I hope things get better for you - I've been a little depressed this summer too. For some reason, NOT knowing what makes you that way is the worst part, makes it so hard to overcome.

Tanya said...

:) Not knowing IS the worst part... although, I think I know the root cause. I need to get my life together. lol. Hope the rest of the summer brings some happier days for both of us.

Becca said...

Thank you. I needed those quotes today.

Unknown said...

Summer was supposed to be better than winter ... and while it is better (and sunnier) it's not that amazing wonderful that I thought it would be either.

I, too, have been writing "fluff" this summer. But I found at least one other person in my program who's also writing fluff right now. It's a happy feeling of solidarity when you can give 'the man' the finger together. :)

Tanya said...

Eileen, I'm so jealous that you found someone in your program writing the same stuff. I feel like I'm in the closet! And lately I've been wondering if I'd even bother telling anyone here if I were to publish genre fiction. :/. Don't get me wrong, they don't BASH it or anything, but they're not subtle in their dislikes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin