Friday, October 10, 2008

Tidbits from Tanyaland

Howdy blogland!

Just felt like conducting some random blogging since I am not working, for the moment. Please be forewarned that this is going to contain LOADS of random thoughts.
  • It is definitely fall here (whoop, whoop <-- an Aggie thing); the temperature has been in the mid-sixties during the day and into the low fifties at night. It's glorious. Do people still say "glorious"? It really is Fierce (as Christian would say). I need more sweaters and stuff, but I've decided to put myself on a shopping freeze starting tonight after I see Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (which will cost me $9.5o... damn East coast... high movie tickets are the one drawback of this place). Well....... I think I'm going to buy a slow cooker too, so after I get that (and a slow cooker cook book) I'm done. Economy is in a recession--so is Tanya.

  • Working at B&N is still fun for me. Too bad I work with a bunch of guys who like talking fantasy football and Dungeons and Dragons all day. Not lying! One guy (who wears the exact same outfit every day, but is a generally nice and helpful dude if you can get past the wafts of B.O. and stale cigarette smoke) has been sick the past few days so I haven't heard endless convos about how XXX running back sucks and how XXX quarterback can't throw for shit or how XXX magical power will not slay thy dragon (whatever the hell those DD people say--it's all Dragon speak to me). It's been quiet in The Nobel. My shifts are spent shelving books (getting pretty good at it most days), working the register, putting away new merchandise, and helping customers find books. All enjoyable, mind numbing tasks.

  • I've realized that I don't like to think... aka, I'm lazy as hell. Stupid brain needs to kick out of daydream land. I need to find the "serious" lobe and massage it so I can start thinking smartly and contribute to smart discussions on Chekhov (soon to be O'Connor). Me no like think.

  • I bought a Julia Quinn book this week. It's calling to me, but I'm afraid that if I read it I will only become dumber. Like it will suck out the small amount of smart activity buzzing around in there. It's buried under the "smart" books on my nightstand--but it beats louder. *sigh*

  • Lately I've been wanting my own place. I miss entertaining, which is impossible in my room. So, I'm still deciding if I'm going to move out next summer or not. I can't beat this price.

  • I've managed to write a few days this week (up from my normal Wednesday night jottings). I'm working on a story about dead gorilla babies. I want it to be good, but I just read a classmate's story and now I don't want to write anymore. The program is not getting easier for me (in this mental war that I have going on)--I constantly wonder if I'm in the right place or not. Like my Quinn book--Estela, Moo, Daisy, Penny and so many others are drumming away. They're upset with me. I am upset with me too.

  • I just bought a ticket for D.C. for Turkey Day (glad I got that in before my spending freeze!). I'm excited about this as my little sister just became a real-life grown up and purchased her own house. I will help her spend money to decorate it, cause Lord knows she needs my help. I will see my mom and dad and other little sister too, so that'll be nice. I hope I'm able to make it to the Library of Congress. I want to smell old books. I should go hang in the Dover library later. Nah... I'll probably watch Iron Man again.

  • [Warning gross info to follow]: I'm sick again. Swallowing snot is not fun.

  • I just realized that I will need to lift my spending freeze in order to buy snow boots. Maybe I should get some online today--I've heard that L.L. Bean makes a mean pair.
  • There is this sweet lady at B&N who I only work with when I'm at the register (she's about 400 lbs and can't walk around because of bad knees). She's the sweetest thing; gives me lotion for my ashy hands. And everytime she has to get up, she grunts and moans: "Ohhhh rigor mortis!"
  • My cat has been extra needy lately and yet I push him away. That's not fair of me. I'd be devastated if I were him. Sometimes we just need a cuddle, right?
  • I made an 83 on my first grammar assignment. My feelings: Alright! I'm just glad it was a B, but the rest will be As. Grammar is generally a fun class for me--lots of discussion. I feel like I'm learning things that I should have learned in high school. Perhaps it'll be the same way with literature?

Okay, that's enough for now... we're all caught up.

5 comments:

Becca said...

I am SO excited about your gorilla story.

Workshop was hard for me yesterday. Tom said he loved my writing plus I have to totally reorganize and rewrite my whole story and also it needs a plot. *SOB*. I guess my point is that workshop is tough but worth it to have a chance for an audience of writers, a chance to meet people who can be good readers for us.

You are a good writer. I enjoyed your first story and I'm looking forward to more.

Is it weird for you that I read this blog? If so, I can totally stop reading it. You can like, I dunno, block me or something. !

Tanya said...

Haha... you can read it, I don't mind. :)

Unknown said...

Re: smart/dumb books -- I think we need to read both to stay sane, but school won't assign the nice easy books *grumbles* Perhaps I should spend tonight reading Tanya Huff's Summon the Keeper for just that reason! (It's this amazingly funny comic fantasy set in a B&B in Toronto, I read it in HS and started it again this summer. Good stuff.)

PS I like "glorious" better than "fierce."

B :) said...

You have issues, haha. But in a pretty good way!

Don't beat up on yourself. I've decided that we will always be insecure when we put our weaknesses up against someone else's strengths. Of course you pale in comparison when you do that! Everyone has their weak spots, and everyone has their strong spots. Try comparing your strengths to their weaknesses ... or just try and focus only on your strengths! hehe.

And like your friend from school sort of said ... the point of workshop is to be hard! Otherwise you won't learn! Let them rip you apart and remember ... it's making you so much better.

Amy K. said...

Your "glorious" comment made me laugh. I once said "golly" in a Time Warner Cable line, and the guy behind me said, "You aren't from here, are you?"

I advocate the living in your own place. Abide by the spending freeze and then move. Living in your own place is well, let's see, glorious.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin