Monday, December 15, 2008

Cold Hearted Ice Storm

So, I've been without power for two days. Luckily I had a friend who had heat and let me bring my cat to her place. It is good to be back home though--I felt so displaced before. I didn't take any pictures because I was so nervous about driving in the aftermath (no sweat, just 20 minutes of ice scraping and slow driving)--these are some pictures that I found to give you an overall idea of what the place looked like Friday morning. It's really quite beautiful, if you look past the 300,000+ displaced and freezing people. If (and possibly when) I move up here permanently, I'm getting a home with a fire place, wood stove, or something that doesn't require electricity to keep me warm.

My landlord (I don't know what else to call them, because roommate definitely isn't it) said that this is the worst ice storm in history. Dover history? I'm not sure if she was talking about all of New England or just Dover. Who knows. It was insane. I remember waking up several times in the middle of the night hearing what sounded like gunshots and ice blocks sliding off the roof. The gunshots were actually tree branches snapping off under the weight of the ice. The next morning there was a 10 foot branch (about five inches thick maybe) laying across the top of my landlord's boat. Insane. My car was safe, but that would have really sucked.

Anyway--I have heat and am back in my own bed. Life rocks.

1 comment:

Esther said...

The second picture looks like Narnia!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin